Iditarod drops ceremonial start over crowd-size concerns

first_imgANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — There is another dramatic change for the Iditarod this year. Officials on Friday announced that the cfan-favorite ceremonial start for the world’s most famous sled dog race has been canceled over crowd-size concerns during the pandemic. The event usually draws large crowds to downtown Anchorage, where beer and food tents line city streets. Iditarod CEO Rob Urbach says they take the health and well-being of the racers, volunteers, staff and spectators very seriously. The race has been shortened this year, and it will start and finish north of Anchorage instead of having the finish line in Nome. There will be limited areas for spectators for the race’s start and end, and fans are encouraged to watch on television.last_img

WHO catalogs H5N1 viruses, launches tracking system

first_imgEditor’s note: This story was revised on Jan 23 to correct errors regarding the numbers of clinical specimens and H5N1 viruses submitted by Indonesia to the World Health Organization in 2007. Jan 22, 2008 (CIDRAP News) – Countries affected by H5N1 avian influenza have sent material containing 734 H5N1 virus isolates to the World Health Organization (WHO) over the past 5 years, and from now on the public will be able to track particular isolates that have been submitted and what is being done with them, according to the WHO.An online chart published by the WHO yesterday shows that countries submitted 8,763 samples from humans and animals from 2003 through 2007, and 734 H5N1 viruses were isolated from those samples. The WHO needs the isolates so it can monitor the virus’s evolution, potential for human transmissibility, and susceptibility to antiviral drugs.Vietnam contributed the most H5N1 isolates—375, derived from 1,199 samples. But Indonesia provided the second most: 171 isolates derived from 4,774 submitted samples. This despite the fact that the country stopped sending H5N1 samples for several months last year because of concern that vaccines derived from such samples are too expensive for developing countries.In 2007 Indonesia sent the WHO 65 clinical samples, from which 13 viruses were isolated, the WHO chart shows. The country had withheld H5N1 samples from the WHO for about 5 months starting at the beginning of the year, according to previous reports.Tracking system announcedOn the heels of the report on H5N1 specimens submitted, the WHO today unveiled an online system to provide information on H5N1 specimens shared with the WHO through its Global Influenza Surveillance Network. The system permits anyone to search for particular isolates by date of submission, source country, host species, and several other variables. The system provides a page of detailed information for each isolate, including a list of all the laboratories to which the virus has been distributed, including pharmaceutical companies.The WHO describes the current system as an interim version. At this point it contains most of the viruses and clinical specimens that have been submitted to the WHO since Nov 24, 2007, plus all H5N1 viruses that have been developed into vaccine viruses, according to a WHO statement. Information on the remaining viruses submitted since Nov 24 is being added to the system.Both the tracking system and the country-by-country report are results, at least in part, of Indonesia’s concerns about the fairness and openness of the WHO system for the sharing, monitoring, and use of influenza viruses.A WHO statement today said the tracking system was developed following the intergovernmental meeting on flu virus sharing that was held Nov 21-23 in Geneva. At the meeting, a WHO working group tried unsuccessfully to resolve Indonesia’s concerns about sending H5N1 specimens to the WHO. The country pushed for rules forbidding the commercial use of H5N1 samples, such as for vaccine development, without the source country’s permission. But no agreement was reached.The November meeting and other discussions in 2007 were held in response to a resolution passed at the WHO’s World Health Assembly last May. The resolution called on the WHO director-general to come up with a system for equitable sharing of the benefits of flu-virus sharing, to set up an international stockpile of vaccines for H5N1 and other potential pandemic viruses, and to revise the “terms of reference” for international sharing of flu viruses.Viruses chosen for vaccinesThe WHO chart of H5N1 viruses submitted in the past 5 years says 13 isolates were selected for development into vaccines. So far, eight engineered viruses derived from these isolates, “suitable for vaccine development and production, are available for distribution,” the WHO reports.The agency says 292 institutions have received one or more copies of the eight engineered viruses, and 46 institutions have received “wild-type” vaccine viruses.Numerous other countries besides Vietnam and Indonesia have submitted samples that yielded H5N1 isolates over the years, according to the WHO. For example, Hong Kong submitted 380 specimens that yielded 4 isolates, China (other than Hong Kong) submitted 26 samples with 22 isolates, Egypt sent 758 specimens with 26 isolates, and Turkey provided 335 specimens with 6 isolates.See also: WHO’s chart of H5N1 virus specimens and isolates submitted by countrieshttp://www.who.int/influenza/resources/documents/TrackingHistoryH5N1_20080131.pdfWHO tracking system search pagehttps://extranet.who.int/ivtm/Search.aspxResolution passed at WHO’s World Health Assembly in May 2007http://www.who.int/csr/don/archive/disease/influenza/A60_R28-en.pdfNov 26, 2007, CIDRAP News story about outcome of November 2007 Geneva meeting on virus sharinghttp://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/avianflu/news/nov2607pact.htmlMay 23, 2007, CIDRAP News story about World Health Assembly resolutionhttp://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/panflu/news/may2307who.htmllast_img read more

Borg van der Velde sets saves career high in loss to Duke

first_img Comments Published on September 14, 2018 at 8:58 pm Contact Anthony: amdabbun@syr.edu Facebook Twitter Google+center_img Borg van der Velde’s parents traveled over 3,000 miles to watch their daughter make history on Friday.Her parents are in the midst of a week-long trip to America, in which they’ll watch their daughter play two games this weekend. On Friday against Duke, the SU sophomore had one of the best games of her career. She recorded 11 saves, a career high. Van der Velde’s reflexes and shot blocking kept the Orange within one for the entire afternoon, even as No. 12 Syracuse (3-3, 0-2 Atlantic Coast) lost 1-0 to No. 4 Duke (4-2, 1-0 ACC).Syracuse failed to produce a shot for the first time in the Ange Bradley era, while Duke peppered the Orange cage with 21 shot attempts. Entering Friday, the Orange conceded an average of 10.8 shots per game. Of those 21 shot attempts against the Blue Devils, 12 made it on goal, one hit the post, and one found the back of the net.Duke scored its lone goal midway through the first period. After that, SU’s goalkeeper tightened up. With Syracuse’s passing lethargic, van der Velde’s reflexes were as fast as ever. In both halves she made saves with every body part and her stick. “In the moment, it’s about making one save at a time,” SU head coach Ange Bradley said. “She kept us in the game, obviously.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textWith Duke on its third penalty corner 15 minutes into the game, van der Velde made a left foot save to deny Rose Tynan off a set play. The rebound found a Duke stick, and the ball cycled back to the top of the circle. Once there, Morgan Bitting tested van der Velde again, this time top shelf. Van der Velde stepped forward and reached to block the shot with her left blocker.Duke’s waves of attacks kept coming. Every time SU turned it over, the Blue Devils ran rampant on the counterattack. She covered all 12 feet of the width of the cage for her third save, sprinting to her left to block a shot attempt and smother Libby Thompson’s attack.It was Duke’s sixth shot, and fourth on goal that found the breakthrough. Caroline Andretta weaved through two SU players, then played a pass into Thompson, who then passed forward to Leah Crouse. Van der Velde had no choice but to come out and attack Crouse. Crouse then slotted it back across goal to Andretta, who had made the 50-yard run to position herself front and center.Andretta tapped the ball into the SU net. Even after the goal, the Orange never responded.“I trust our defense but Duke had a really good offensive set,” van der Velde said.In the final minutes of the first half, SU faced another pulse of Duke chances. Van der Velde helped fight off two penalty corners late in the half, one while laying on the ground. The ball careened off the foot of senior back Roos Weers, and the Blue Devils had another corner.Another corner, another save from van der Velde. This time with her right shin pad. The rebound came back to Andretta, who shot well high.Five minutes into the second half, van der Velde found herself on the turf at J.S. Coyne Stadium again. This time, however, the shot had elevation. As the ball flew towards her, she reached her pad on her left hand up, blocking the shot off the goal line.Her dad, among others, cheered her name as she then shielded the ball long enough to draw a foul on the Blue Devils. Fifteen minutes later, Andretta tested the goalkeeper again. Van der Velde made two saves, Duke had two shots blocked, and another attempt hit the post. She reached out her right leg about as far as she could stretch it, kicking the shot attempt wide. Then she used her stick to deny another chance. Duke pressed on and on trying to double its lead, but it couldn’t find a second.Van der Velde broke a Syracuse record today. A record that she doesn’t want.“I’d rather not have a career high in saves,” she said. “I’d rather have zero shots and zero goals.”last_img read more

Boca Raton Man Faces New Charges After Fight Victim Dies

first_imgA Boca Raton man who was originally charged with aggravated battery is facing new counts.Police say Santiago Jaime-Velasquez punched a man in the face last week during a fight at an apartment complex on SW 7th Street.The victim later died from his injuries.A witness told police that he also saw Jaime-Velasquez kick the victim in the head.According to police, the victim regained consciousness and walked through a cemetery before falling unconscious again. Doctors treated the man for a brain bleed and put him on life support.Authorities have upgraded the charges to negligent manslaughter.The victim has not been identified.last_img

2 killed, 2 injured in Belle Glade shooting

first_imgThe Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office is investigating after two people were killed and two others were injured in a shooting in Belle Glade.The shooting occurred Wednesday evening along Martin Luther King Blvd.Deputies responded to a report of shots fired around 8:30 p.m.The first deputies on scene found a man with multiple gunshot wounds in the street.He was transported to the hospital where he did shortly after.Deputies found three other victims being treated at Lakeside Medical Center, two of which had gunshot wounds.One of the two victims later died..The third victim was injured after being struck by a car fleeing the scene.The victims have not been identified, and a motive has not been established at this time.last_img

Local man steals vehicle with two children inside

first_imgThe Palm Beach Sheriffs Office is reporting that they have arrested a 22-year-old man who reportedly stole a vehicle with two children in the backseat.The incident was reported on November 1st at a mobile home park located on the 6200 block of 16th Way South.According to the report, the woman says she went back inside of the home, leaving her children in the running vehicle, and moments  later she heard a noise coming from the area where her car was parked. When she looked outside, she saw the suspect driving away with her vehicle.Authorities were able to locate the vehicle in the area of Abby Rd. and Forest Hill Blvd after the suspect crashed into a curb and took off on foot.The children were found unharmed in the vehicle.Investigators later tracked down the suspect identified as Wilmer Abrego and took him into custody after he admitted to stealing the vehicle.Abrego has since been booked into the Palm Beach County Jail on charges of grand theft auto and false imprisonment.last_img read more

WATCH LIVE: Trump First President to Attend NYC Veteran’s Parade

first_imgFor the first time in its 100-year history a US President and the first lady attend the New York City Veterans Day parade today. President Trump will lay a wreath and the president will deliver remarks and offer a tribute to the men women who served this country during the opening ceremony of the annual event.Organizers say there will be more than 25,000 participants – veterans, active duty military personnel, and veterans supporters; also high school and college bands, and floats. The parade takes place over two dozen blocks on New York’s Fifth Avenue. The President and First Lady remain in New York tonight, staying at Trump Towerlast_img

Benjamin Crump to Sue Sunrise Police After Boy Drowns During Pursuit

first_imgBroward family of a teen who drowned while fleeing police is preparing to sue to find out how he died.Attorney Benjamin Crump says 16-year-old Damian Martin either fell or jumped into the canal that he had swam in his entire life and Sunrise Police watched while he drowned.Crump says they are filing an intent to sue the Sunrise Police Department. Crump says Damian Martin died on March 8th running from police after allegedly stealing a car.He says witnesses saw Martin struggling to breath while drowning in the canal as Sunrise police officers watched with their guns drawn.Crump says witnesses also claim that the young suspect was hit by a Taser before he fell or jumped into the canal.Crump said they are filing an intent to sue so that they can obtain any video surveillance officers might have that showed the Fort Lauderdale teen’s death. Crump says the suit is aimed at get to the truth because he says Sunrise police will not answer their questions. Crump says they want the truth, transparency and accountabilitylast_img read more

Democrats Dropping Like Flies From Race for President

first_imgCalifornia Senator Kamala Harris recently dropped out of the race. Meanwhile, the remaining six Democratic presidential candidates will debate tomorrow night ahead of next month’s Iowa caucuses.Those who qualified for the debate are former VP Joe Biden, Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders, former South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg, Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren, Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar and billionaire businessman Tom Steyer. Those who qualified met a complex criteria based on polling and fundraising. The debate will be held in Des Moines and is airing on CNN. Another one bites the dust…New Jersey Senator Cory Booker is dropping out of the Democratic presidential campaign.The decision by the African-American senator makes the remaining Democratic field less diverse. Booker pitched a campaign theme of hope and optimism in the Trump era. In a statement to supporters, he said he still believes in that message and accused Trump of promoting hate and division. last_img read more

Op Ed: “Canada is Not a Halfway House for Royals”

first_imgPrince Harry made his first public appearance since he and Meghan Markle announced their plans to step back from senior royal duties.The Queen has given her blessing for the couple to live in Canada part-time during the transition.Canada’s biggest newspaper, The Globe and Mail, out with a scathing editorial, reading in part, “Canada is not a halfway house for anyone looking to get out of Britain while remaining a royal.” The article goes on to say: “If they were ordinary private citizens, plain old Harry and Meghan from Sussex, they would be welcome. But this country’s unique monarchy, and its delicate yet essential place in our constitutional system, means that a royal resident – the Prince is sixth in the line of succession – is not something that Canada can allow. It breaks an unspoken constitutional taboo.”The Royal Family issued a statement on Monday that said there would be a period of transition as the Prince steps back. His wife Meghan Markle is already in Canada with their son, Archie. The Prince also issued two video statements today on mental health and the Invictus Games.The editorial arguing it isn’t appropriate for the country to house senior royals as a member of the Commonwealth, the family of nations where the Queen is head of state. But that might be exactly the reason why it makes sense: in 2018 she made Harry Youth Ambassador for the Commonwealth.By the way Meghan and Harry picked a great place to put down roots because a new global survey says Canada is the world’s best country in which to live behind Switzerland. Canada has moved up to number two in this year’s survey, and Japan has slipped down to number three.last_img read more