Location is everything.And in the last three years, Syracuse football has known that adage well.When the University of Southern California crossed the country as the nation’s No. 2 team in 2012, it wasn’t to play in the Carrier Dome. When Penn State went on the road to face the Orange in 2013, there was no trip up Interstate-81.When No. 8 Notre Dame (3-0) kicks off against Syracuse (2-1) at 8 p.m. on Saturday night, the game won’t be in central New York.“That’s the biggest misconception is you’re moving a game that would’ve been played here,” said Joe Giansante, SU Athletics Chief Communications Officer. “It might have been a different home game against a lower-level division team, but the allure of playing in New York City is what creates the opportunity for a big matchup with premiere programs around the country.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“Several of those teams that MetLife wanted to play wouldn’t play in the Dome. Financially it didn’t make sense for them.”For Syracuse, an agreement struck with MetLife Stadium five years ago has helped the program push SU football closer to national recognition, provided recruiting benefits revenue from games against high-profile teams.In August of 2009, before construction on MetLife Stadium was even completed, a deal — which include three neutral-site home games for the Orange — was agreed upon. Those games were against USC in 2012, Notre Dame in 2014 and another against the Fighting Irish in 2016. Last season’s game against Penn State was announced in 2011.The initial connection, Giansante said, was a result of the university’s relationships with sports executives in New York City.“(Stadium) management was looking for games and approached Syracuse being the only (Bowl Championship Subdivision)-level school at the time in the state of New York,” he said. “It made sense to have a regional anchor for those games.”Brad Mayne, president and CEO of MetLife Stadium, said in an email that SU has been a great partner for the stadium, and has a tremendous alumni and fan base in the New York and New Jersey metro area.MetLife seats 82,566 people and 39,507 attended the Orange’s 42-29 loss to the Trojans in 2012. Those appeared to be a majority of USC fans. But overall attendance was 61,202 in 2013 when Syracuse played Penn State, with a roughly even mix of supporters for the Orange and Nittany Lions.And for SU, the agreement with the stadium provided a massive payday for the athletic program. This was particularly relevant when the Orange was still a part of the less profitable Big East, Giansante said, as playing games at MetLife was “critical to keep the athletic department afloat before the move to the (Atlantic Coast Conference).”The stadium has also been a tool for the Orange to expand recruiting in New Jersey and New York City. Head Coach Scott Shafer said on the ACC coaches teleconference Tuesday that even though there isn’t measurable data on the recruiting effects of playing at MetLife, the games still play a positive role for the program.Defensive tackle Wayne Williams, a junior college transfer from New York City, sat in the end zone during Syracuse’s last two games at MetLife as a guest of SU. He wasn’t always able to make it up to games in the Dome, so he said it was good having the chance to make it to a game in nearby New Jersey.Recruits will be in attendance Saturday, though Shafer said he wasn’t sure how many.“I think it’s a recruiting opportunity and an area that we want to continue to upgrade,” Shafer said. “Especially right there in New Jersey and New York City.”Shafer added that he thought playing teams of Notre Dame’s caliber wouldn’t be possible without the marquee location.Steve Lopes, senior associate athletic director for USC, said there had been talks with SU’s Director of Athletics Daryl Gross, who previously worked at USC, about scheduling a game. Playing at MetLife, Lopes said, was the intent from the beginning, because USC was interested in the stadium’s proximity to the city.The two games scheduled between the Orange and the Fighting Irish also started with an interest in playing at MetLife. The date with Syracuse was announced back in 2009, but Notre Dame had to overhaul parts of its schedule following the 2013 announcement that it would play five ACC games each year as a partial conference member in football.But the conference decided to leave the date with Syracuse in place. Michael Strickland, senior associate commissioner of football operations for the ACC, said the matchup was left alone to protect the significance of the game’s location.“The notion of playing at a venue like MetLife, just coming off hosting a Super Bowl,” John Heisler, senior associate athletics director at Notre Dame, said, “you like the idea that you give student-athletes a chance to play at a place like that.”As Syracuse prepares for arguably its most notable MetLife game to date, one scheduling success has led to another.Louisiana State University, a perennial power in the Southeastern Conference, will make the trip up to the Carrier Dome in 2015 as part of a home-and-home series that was announced in the spring.With an increased incentive for top-tier programs to face power-conference teams, the College Football Playoff has lessened the need to use a venue like MetLife to attract prominent opponents, Giansante said.In 2010, the year MetLife officially opened, the Orange’s non-conference schedule was a four-game slate of games against Akron, Washington, Maine and Colgate. With the facility having bolstered SU football schedules in the past, present and future, Saturday’s game is the next step.“Playing college games against Penn State, USC, Notre Dame,” Giansante said, “there’s no question that puts you on a high-profile game and gives you benefits that last you a long time.”-Asst. copy editor Sam Blum contributed reporting to this article Comments Published on September 25, 2014 at 12:08 am Contact Brett: [email protected] | @Brett_Samuels27 Facebook Twitter Google+
Related Articles Share Flutter calls for £850m private placement capitalising on disruptions May 28, 2020 Submit Share The French government has accelerated its plans to privatise state-owned lottery and sports betting operator Francaise des Jeux (FDJ), appointing a collective of eight investment banks to work on the sale of the asset.This week, the APE, the agency overseeing the management French state-owned firms, confirmed that BNP Paribas would be joined by Citigroup, Goldman Sachs, Credit Agricole, HSBC, Natixis, dit Industriel et Commercial (CIC) and Societe Generale, to coordinate an institutional share sale.The move sees the French government point towards an initial public offering for the sale of its 72% stake in FDJ, Europe’s second-largest lottery operator.In April 2018, the En Marche government-appointed BNP Paribas, to lead a strategic assessment of FDJ privatisation options.The sale of FDJ forms part of President Emmanuel Macron’s guiding ‘PACTE Loi – Business Growth and Transformation Programme’, which was formally approved by the French Senate last April, allowing the government to divest options in a number of state-owned enterprises.Despite criticism by trade unions of Macron’s ‘PACTE mandate’, En Marche maintains that France will divest its holdings in FDJ and airport operator Aéroports de Paris (ADP) by the end of 2019.The collective of banks will draw-up an FDJ IPO prospectus, which will be presented to the French Markets Authority (AMF) for approval, as En Marche moves to fulfil a key directive of its PACTE mandate.The planned divestment of FDJ will likely lead to wholesale reforms of French gambling laws, as last June the French Assembly instructed En Marche to create a new gambling regulatory authority, supervising all disciplines of French gambling.To date, French gambling regulation is governed by three separate bodies, with ARJEL monitoring online gambling services, the finance ministry regulating betting activities, and horseracing governed by the French Agricultural Department.The French Assembly details that Post-FDJ, En Marche should push to form a ‘unified framework’ ending the ‘double guardianship’ which has been inflicted on a number of gambling disciplines. StumbleUpon French racing secures ‘conditional approval’ on restart programme May 4, 2020 ANJ takes charge of new French gambling era June 22, 2020
Jamaica Scorpions head coach, Robert Samuels, has all but conceded the Digicel WICB Regional Four-day Tournament title.Now in third position on 95.2 points, Jamaica face a must-win situation in the last two rounds of the six-team championship.They must also hope that the teams in front of them, leaders Guyana Jaguars on 109.8 points, and Barbados Pride 99.2, get unfavourable results in their remaining matches.Twelve points are awarded for a win and three for a draw, while also on offer during a contest are first innings batting and bowling points, as well as fast bowling points.DIVINE INTERVENTION NEEDED”Due to our two home losses at the start of the return-leg matches, we have to now depend on divine intervention and other teams if we are going to win this competition,” said Samuels, prior to the Scorpions’ departure yesterday for St Vincent and the Grenadines.”And, when you are depending on so many variables, usually, it does not work out like that,” he declared.Jamaica, who led the championship after the five rounds have since played three games. This has resulted in two defeats and a victory.The win, which was spearheaded by yet another Man-of-the-Match bowling performance from captain Nikita Miller, was against the Trinidad and Tobago Red Force at the Queen’s Park Oval. The Scorpions will face the Windward Island Volcanoes and Barbados Pride in the remaining matches.”We have to play good cricket in St Vincent against the Windwards and then versus Barbados,” Samuels stressed.”We can’t do anything about Guyana as they are at home and are very hard to beat at home. But we can do something about the Windward Islands and about Barbados.”Meanwhile, three changes were made to the squad for the away fixtures. Batsman Andre McCarthy has been dropped while Brandon King is injured. Leg-spinner Damion Jacobs is unavailable.Their spots have been taken by uncapped batsmen Oraine Williams and Peat Salmon as well as left-arm wrist spinner, Dennis Bulli, who has one first-class appearance.