Seaspan contracts L3 MAPPS for Canadian JSS deliveries

first_imgBack to overview,Home naval-today Seaspan contracts L3 MAPPS for Canadian JSS deliveries Share this article Seaspan contracts L3 MAPPS for Canadian JSS deliveries View post tag: Seaspan View post tag: L3 MAPPS Canadian shipbuilder Seaspan Shipyards announced it has awarded L3 MAPPS a contract for work on the Royal Canadian Navy’s new Joint Support Ships (JSS).Based in Montreal, L3 MAPPS will provide the integrated platform management system (IPMS) for JSS.The IPMS will control and monitor platform machinery and systems on board JSS, including advanced functionality, such as the battle damage control system, onboard training system, equipment health monitoring and other new IPMS capabilities.L3 MAPPS has a long-standing relationship with the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) spanning over 35 years. The company plays a major role as a Tier 1 supplier in the Halifax-class frigate upgrade program.The award is one of several to be announced for Canadian suppliers supporting Seaspan’s work on naval supply ships under the NSS.“We are pleased to be awarded the contract to deliver the Integrated Platform Management System (IPMS) for the Royal Canadian Navy’s new Joint Support Ships currently under construction at Seaspan’s Vancouver Shipyards. L3 MAPPS’ technology will enhance the operational effectiveness of JSS and make it a safer vessel for its crew, other RCN sailors, and the environment,” Rangesh Kasturi, President, L3 MAPPS commented.Construction on the JSS started with a steel-cutting ceremony at Seaspan’s Vancouver shipyard in June last year.The JSS will be replenishment ships crewed by 240 sailors whose task will be to ensure surface combatant vessels can stay at sea longer. The two JSS will replace the former Auxiliary Oiler Replenishment vessels.The construction start of the JSS in June 2018 will result in the first JSS being delivered in 2022/23, and the second in 2023/24. Equipment & technology View post tag: JSS navaltoday View post tag: Royal Canadian Navy January 18, 2019, bylast_img read more

Our Lady’s getting huge local support for Harty final

first_imgLive coverage of the match tomorrow at McDonagh Park, Nenagh, will be brought to you in association with Stapletons Bakery. That’s according to manager Tom Byrnes as the Tipperary school prepare to face Ard Scoil Ris in the decider of the prestigious provincial hurling competition.Our Lady’s only Harty Cup win was in 1978 while their opponents have lifted the trophy on three occasions.Tom says it’s great to be going into the match in Nenagh on a tide of goodwill.last_img

Neymar is Barcelona bound, says Ronaldo

first_imgBrazil legend Ronaldo has strongly hinted that Santos starlet Neymar is bound for Barcelona.Neymar has been repeatedly linked with with the Blaugrana and Goal.com exclusively revealed last week that the 21-year-old will be heading to Catalunya in July for talks.However, in discussing his compatriot’s chances of establishing himself as a modern great, Ronaldo appears to have suggested Neymar’s rumoured switch to Barca is a done deal.“He has the potential [to become one of the world’s best],” the now-retired striker is quoted as saying but Tuttosport. “But we have to assess his impact on European football when he arrives at Barcelona.“The first year will be difficult for him, but I’m convinced that when he adapts he’ll be one of the very best.”Ronaldo enjoyed a fine season at Camp Nou before leaving for Inter in 1997.last_img read more

Sarajevo to host World Taekwondo Europe

first_imgSarajevo will stage three events next year as Bosnia and Herzegovina hosts events for World Taekwondo Europe (WTE) for the first time.WTE has announced that the Bosnia and Herzegovina Taekwondo Federation will host the 2020 European Championships Olympic Weight Categories G1, Youth Olympic Weight Categories and also the European Master Championships 2020.Sarajevo will stage the events from October 28 to November 1.In November, Bosnia and Herzegovina sent representatives to the Cadet European Championships in Spain and the European Under-21 Championships in Poland, Inside the Gamed reported.last_img

Grassley: more pandemic payments to Americans among issues being discussed

first_imgWASHINGTON — Congress is back in session after its summer recess and Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley says one of the top priorities is crafting another incarnation of the CARES Act to help businesses and individuals weather the continuing storm of coronavirus.Grassley says direct payments of up to $1,200 to nearly every American are again being discussed, as are a host of other elements designed to stimulate the economy. “Our four previous bills to help with the pandemic, we’ve been able to come to a bipartisan consensus,” Grassley says. “Each of those bills passed with overwhelming support and the biggest one passed unanimously, and I hope this one will be no different.”The original Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act was signed into law by President Trump on March 27th. It allotted a record $2.2 trillion  to address the COVID-19 pandemic. Grassley says there are many possibilities to consider for the next piece of legislation.“Leader McConnell wants liability protection to protect folks from frivolous lawsuits that are related to the virus,” Grassley says. “President Trump has listed a handful of options that he wants Congress to consider and at this point, we’re only in a discussion phase.”Grassley says hammering out the details of the bill will likely take two to three weeks though it has to be before President Trump by August 7th. Grassley, a Republican, says there’s been much conversation already about another cash infusion where Uncle Sam would send checks directly to most Americans.“I think this is the one that gets the most economic impact if you’re thinking about stimulating the economy, putting money in people’s pockets,” Grassley says. “I’m not sure it’s going to be exactly $1,200 but it’s going to be a sizable amount of money if there are checks go out.”The payment process would likely be set up much like the last time, he says, in order to expedite the checks. Otherwise, Grassley says, they may not arrive until after Christmas.last_img read more

Hotel in Spain Flaunts $15 Million Dollar Diamond Encrusted Christmas Tree

first_imgYou won’t find a Christmas tree dripping with diamonds in the average workplace, but a hotel in Spain has spared no expense with its holiday tree in the lobby. A tree in the lobby is decorated with three-carat pink diamonds along with white, black and red diamonds on every branch.It also has four-carat sapphires, martini glasses, feathers, perfume bottles and 3-D printed chocolate peacocks. The high-end tree is said to be worth 15-million dollars.last_img

Mother Arrested, Charged in Baby’s Drowning in Martin County

first_imgOne of the parents later called 911. Davis was performing CPR when crews arrived.Cameron was rushed to Martin Memorial South, where he was pronounced dead.A spokesperson for the Martin County Sheriff’s Office adds that authorities had been called to the home at least three times in the past.The Department of Children and Families has taken custody of two other children who were in the home. A 29-year-old mother has been arrested in the drowning case of her nine-month-old baby, according to the Martin County Sheriff’s Office.Heather Clifford was taken into custody on Thursday and charged with aggravated manslaughter for the death of her son, Cameron Davis.The infant was found floating in a bathtub at the family’s home in Hobe Sound on December 20, officials with the Sheriff’s Office said.Clifford had left the baby alone in the bathtub for some reason. She then fell asleep. The boy’s father, 30-year-old Shawn Davis, was also sleeping.MCSO arrests mother of 9-month old baby boy found floating in family bathtub Dec. 20th. 29-year old Heather Clifford was just taken into custody and charged with aggravated manslaughter. pic.twitter.com/Uj4Tnv5Fnj— MartinCountySheriff (@MartinFLSheriff) January 2, 2020last_img read more

Florida will buy 20,000 acres of Everglades land to prevent oil drilling

first_imgFlorida governor Ron DeSantis said that Florida will buy 20,000 acres (8,000 hectares) of land in the Everglades to prevent oil drilling in the area.DeSantis said the deal could cost about $18 million dollars if purchased from Kanter Real Estate LLC, which had obtained approval to move forward for oil drilling.Chauncey Goss, chairman of the South Florida Water Management District, said the state under DeSantis has been expediting critical restoration projects.“It’s going to be recognized nationally and internationally as an important step in restoring our Everglades,” Goss said of the Kanter land deal.The land is home to more than 60 endangered species, including the wood stork.last_img

SpaceX To Blow Up Rocket on Purpose Saturday

first_imgIn order to make sure astronauts in upcoming manned flights are safe during a launch mishap, SpaceX will deliberably blow up a rocket this weekend.The private space flight company will blow up a Falcon 9 rocket at Cape Canaveral, Florida Saturday morning.The aim is to prove that astronauts in SpaceX’s Crew Dragon capsule would be protected in a launch emergency.Liftoff for the uncrewed flight test is scheduled for 8 a.m. Eastern time.Just a minute and a half after launch, the Falcon 9 will kill its engines and the Crew Dragon will fire its SuperDraco engines to separate from the rocket. At this point, the rocket and the capsule will both be traveling around 1,000 miles per hour. After separation, they will continue coasting toward the stratosphere before they begin their return to Earth. The Falcon 9 is expected to get torn to shreds over the Atlantic Ocean during its descent, but the Crew Dragon will gently land in the ocean under parachute.“We tried to design a way to save B1046, but not possible,” CEO Elon Musk tweeted, referring to the rocket by its block number. Instead, he wrote, it will be “destroyed in Dragon fire.”The so-called “in-flight abort test” is going to be one hell of a show, and it is one of the last major milestones before SpaceX can start sending astronauts to the ISS. The test is meant to show NASA that in the event of an emergency during launch, SpaceX can jettison astronauts to safety. It will mimic an actual launch to the space station in nearly every way, except no astronauts will be on board.NASA describes an emergency during launch as an “unlikely event,” but this kind of dramatic escape is more than a hypothetical. In 2018, a Russian Soyuz rocket had to jettison its capsule containing a Russian and American astronaut after one of the rocket’s boosters failed. It was the first time in history an abort system was used during flight with astronauts on board, but it worked perfectly and both astronauts returned safely to Earth.Although SpaceX’s uncrewed demo mission went off without a hitch, its Crew Dragon capsule exploded during a test, a problem that the company traced to a leaky valve. In December, however, SpaceX completed its tenth consecutive successful parachute test, which is required by NASA before astronauts can fly.Most Popularlast_img read more

Rocky Johnson, WWE Wrestler and Father of Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Dies

first_imgRocky Johnson, a World Wide Wrestling pioneer and the father of Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, has died at age 75, according to reports.Johnson passed away on Wednesday in the Tampa Bay area.Nicknamed “Soul Man,” Johnson began his career with the National Wrestling Alliance in the mid-1960s. He joined the World Wrestling Federation (now World Wrestling Entertainment) in 1983, and found success there until his retirement in 1991.Even during retirement, Johnson continued to train up-and-coming wrestlers, including his son.The International Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame announced last month that Rocky Johnson had joined the organization as a board member.Johnson was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame by his son in 2008.last_img